Monday, February 15, 2010

The Experts

Today was the day to confront those who have up until now only confounded me. A week ago today I had my second round of chemotherapy. I literally put my life in the hands of a medical team for which I had the greatest respect. Note I said had. After today's visit I am just plain sad. Sad that I deferred to the experts on my care. Yet at the same time learned. Because it will never, ever happen to me again.

Suppose one day you, the medical professional, discover a lump in your breast. First thing you do is call your surgeon friend. She rises to the challenge, takes you lovingly under her wing and guides you through a very difficult time. For her you have the greatest amount of love and respect. You are grateful to call her friend.

Surgeon friend makes a recommendation regarding follow-up with an oncologist. You consider her advice and although her choice may be "a true genius" your personalities clash. Instead you choose a highly recommended oncologist with whom you have an established rapport and who enjoys an excellent reputation. However know this, it might not be quite that easy. You might want to look beyond the smoke and mirrors to see just who it is holding up the magic curtain. The wizard is only as good as his/her handlers. Over the past two weeks I have learned this lesson the hard way. Hopefully sharing my experience will keep you from making the same errors.


No comments:

Post a Comment