Thursday, February 18, 2010

Birthday Eve

Tomorrow is my birthday. Usually the day goes by with a few phone calls, some cards and little else. I take the day off from work and enjoy my time at home. This year I am home because of my breast cancer diagnosis. I'm recovering from chemo therapy and some time soon will begin radiation. Yes, somehow my birthday celebration has taken on a new meaning. I want to scream, Carol 2, Cancer 0. I beat cancer to the punch two times. And it feels good.

Reflecting on the year just passed I know the highs have far surpassed the lows. I've been able to continue work in my little cottage, making a great room out of three little rooms, new siding, new windows, lots of new plants, flowers and a white birch tree. I even have new window boxes handmade by my brother. I look around and am happy with what I see.

Work has been busy which I always count as job security. I have a new boss with whom I enjoy working. The hospital is dedicating this year's ACS Relay For Life to me, an honour I wish I didn't qualify for, yet an honour nonetheless. My knitting friends have deluged me with chemo caps, hand knit with love and soft yarns, each reflecting the personality of it's knitter. The caps are a treasure I will never part with. My friends and family have rallied around me offering their love and support. It has been an amazingly humbling feeling.

Now as I look out onto my 60th year I wonder what the year will bring. A cure for cancer. World peace. A more stable economic environment. Or perhaps, good health. Perhaps that should be my sole wish ... good health. Good bye 58 and look out 59! I'm coming your way.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Carol
    This is the 4th time I have written this so I hope I can send it this time and it will work for me.

    I am a virtual friend of Betsy (junior Goddess) whom I met through a knitting chat site. I am also an RN working in an oncology unit at our local hospital. However, recently I have had to progress to disability pension as a result of bilateral knee replacement plus extensive spinal stenosis.

    I really enjoy reading your blog and learning what it is like for the patients on the other side of the health care system. You are a very brave girl and I admire you so much. I know you can beat this horrible beast and get on with your life, as you have in the past, and you will be a better nurse for it.

    So take care and I will continue to enjoy your excellent writings as often as you write them. Enjoy your birthday with family and friend nearby.

    Sincerely,
    Evelyn McClennen

    ReplyDelete